The total length of the Canada/U.S. boundary is 8,890 kilometres.
Canada’s largest and one of the world’s greatest earthquake, was August 22, 1949, just off the Queen Charlotte Islands. The magnitude was a whopping 8.1 — it was definitely felt for miles around!
But the most destructive earthquake in Canada was on November 18, 1929, in the Atlantic Ocean, just south of Newfoundland. It was a 7.2 magnitude. 27 people drowned and so much damage done by a tsunami on the Burin Peninsula, just off the island of Newfoundland.
Canada has the world’s longest coastline at 202,080 kilometres.
I’m not sure this is something to be proud of or not, but the fastest-built highway is the Alaska Highway. It runs from Dawson Creek, British Columbia to Fairbanks, Alaska.
The last two people executed in Canada were Ronald Turpin, 29, and Arthur Lucas, 54, convicted in separate murders, at 12:02 am on December 11, 1962, at the Don Jail in Toronto.
The last woman hanged in Canada was Marguerite Pitre on January 9, 1953, for her part in the Albert Guay affair.
Hanging was the only form of capital punishment ever used in Canada.
In 1976, we removed capital punishment for murder from Canada’s Criminal Code, although we could have used it under the National Defence Act until 1998.
You would have to write in tiny print or get a larger envelope to write to the folks who live here. These are the 3 longest place names where people live.
- The Township municipality in Ontario: Dysart, Dudley, Harcourt, Guilford, Harburn, Bruton, Havelock, Eyre and Clyde.
- The Newfoundland community: Cape St. George-Petit Jardin-Grand Jardin-de-Grau-Marches Point-Loretto.
- The Prince Edward Island village: Stanley Bridge, Hope River, Bayview, Cavendish and North Rustico.
As a bonus trivia for you, here are the 6 longest stream names in Canada.
- Quebec’s Cours d’eau du Cordon des Terres des Sixième et Septième Rang.
- Quebec’s Cours d’eau de la Concession Sud-Est du Rang Saint-David.
- Quebec’s Decharge des Neuvième Dixième et Onzième Concessions.
- New Brunswick’s Lower North Branch Little Southwest Miramichi River.
- Quebec’s Embrancement des Rangs Saint-Georges et Séraphine.
- Quebec’s Cours d’eau des Cinquième et Sixième Rangs de Milton.
Did you know that 8 out of 10 of Canada’s largest islands are in Nunavut?
The 10 largest islands in Canada are:
- Baffin Island, Nunavut at 507,451 km2
- Victoria Island, Nunavut / Northwest Territories at 217,291 km2
- Ellesmere Island, Nunavut at 196,236 km2
- Newfoundland at 111,390 km2
- Banks Island, NWT at 70,028 km2
- Devon Island, Nunavut at 55,247 km2
- Axel Heiberg Island, Nunavut at 43,178 km2
- Melville Island, Northwest Territories at 42,149 km2
- Southampton Island, Nunavut at 41,214 km2
- Prince of Wales Island, Nunavut at 33,339 km2
And for some quotes by Canadians and/or about Canada Click here!
Want to see more superlatives and trivia? Have any suggestions? Let me know what you think? Just write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org